Under the provisions of the 1995 Environmental Act, all local authorities in England and Wales are required to assess air quality against a set of national targets for key pollutants.
Diffusion tubes are widely used for indicative monitoring of ambient nitrogen dioxide (NO2) in the context of Review and Assessment. Diffusion tubes are particularly useful:
– When simple, indicative techniques will suffice
– To give an indication of longer-term average NO2 concentrations
– For indicative comparison with objectives based on the annual mean
– For highlighting areas of high NO2 concentration
– Where installation of an automatic analyser is not feasible
The Eastleigh Borough Council NO2 diffusion tube monitoring data is available here. This was last updated on 18/03/2019.